So far growing tropical fruits in dense urban farming systems has been impossible. Check out this concept for growing bananas in Paris. Very cool.
Paris could one day get a taste of the tropics.
The French architecture firm SOA has come up with a greenhouse project that would make fresh, local tropical fruit — bananas in particular — more accessible in the cooler climate of Paris.
The design, called Urbanana, is a vertical, six-story, all-glass greenhouse that would fit between already existing buildings. Unlike many vertical farm designs that stand alone in the form of a farm tower, this design is “easy to insert into the urban fabric,” according to SOA’s website.
t would also be a type of mixed-use development for urban farming. It would have a restaurant, shop, and educational area on the ground floor and the farm above. So while it would take up space in an already dense urban area it would still be an active place. “Its operation is based on the economic development of the sector rather than the single sale of the fruit,” SOA website explains.
Growing popular tropical fruits in these types of greenhouse structures makes sense. While it would use space efficiently, it would also be a way to reduce energy use for transporting the fruits long distances from the tropics to cities with cooler climates. Besides, fresh bananas taste so much better.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- greenhouse-affect likes this
- architecture-ilike reblogged this from agritecture
- philippinebritish likes this
- sednetwork reblogged this from agritecture and added:
- sednetwork likes this
- goodgreens reblogged this from agritecture and added:
- young-reckless-and-relentless reblogged this from localfoodlab
- smathie203 likes this
- moonbehindclouds reblogged this from harvestheart
- makesomethingood likes this
- kristats reblogged this from localfoodlab
- localfoodlab reblogged this from agritecture
- whatimmortalhandoreye likes this
- therandompeach likes this
- grey-light likes this
- justaquickquestion reblogged this from harvestheart
- harvestheart reblogged this from agritecture
- harvestheart likes this
- waldfeuer likes this
- contraryfarmer likes this
- jannymack likes this
- batesnursery reblogged this from agritecture
- batesnursery likes this
- agritecture posted this